Falling meter  When a rhythmic pattern of stresses recurs in a poem, it is called meter. Falling meter moves from stressed to unstressed sounds, such as the trochaic foot and the dactylic foot. (See also, meter.)

The definitions in this glossary were adapted from The Bedford Introduction to Literature, Sixth Edition, by Michael Meyer