Macmillan Learning Sample Copy Policy Terms and Conditions
(Last Updated August 2022)
1. What is the sample copy service?
A sample copy is a copy of a textbook that lecturers use to assess as a potential set text for their course or module. It is also known as exam copy, inspection copy or evaluation copy.
The sample copy service allows us to send sample copies of textbooks free of charge. Instead of payment we ask for feedback on books and confirmation of whether they will be used in your teaching.
2. What are the additional terms and conditions that apply to sample copies?By requesting a sample copy, you agree:
- To act in good faith, using the service for the purpose for which it is intended.
- To provide feedback on all sample copies sent.
- That you will not sell your copy, or give it away where a copy would otherwise have been sold, e.g. to your institutional library or to a student.
- That we may use your personal information to contact you by email and telephone to request feedback on the samples we have sent you.
3. Do I qualify for a sample copy?
Sample copies are sent at our sole discretion, but we use the guidelines below.
To be considered for a sample copy, you must:
- Be a member of teaching staff responsible for making core text recommendations for an academic course.
- Reasonably expect that, should you adopt the book, at least 12 copies of the book will be sold to your students or to your institutional library as a result of your recommendation.
- Provide us with the following details at the time of your request:
- Your full academic postal address (we send samples to academic addresses only)
- Your academic email address
- Course/module name
- Course/module start date
- (Expected) Number of students per year
- Academic level (e.g. 1st year undergraduate)
4. Where is the sample copy service available?
If you live in a country not listed below and you are interested in adopting this book for your course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org including all your course information and we will review your request.
UK & EUROPE
Ireland (Republic of)
AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND
5. How many sample copies can I order?
The number of sample copies we can send depends on your course(s) and student numbers. If you order several books, we may ask you to reduce your order or accept e-books instead, where available. Once you have fed back on the samples you received, you will be able to order more copies again. Click here to submit feedback now.
6. I didn't request a sample, why am I being sent one?Sometimes your local rep will send you sample copies for your inspection. If these copies are not useful for your course or if you would like to opt out of this service, please let us know. Click here to see who is the local rep in your area.