Last Updated: August 2023
This website is owned and operated by Macmillan Learning.
Click here for Terms of Purchase.
Personal Registration for Services
We may permit you to browse, access and use certain Services without registration. You are required to register, however, in order to be able to access and use the Educational Products, download content from the Educational Products or Catalog Site or purchase digital content from the Student Store (collectively, “Downloaded Content”), register for an event, post comments on any Community Site and /or engage in certain other activities in connection with the Services. The first time you sign in to a Services account, you will be prompted to register. Once registered, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account, and remain responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account with or without your knowledge. If you knowingly provide your login and password information to another person, your account privileges may be suspended or terminated. You may not transfer your account to another party. If you transfer or attempt to transfer your rights to another person, the rights granted hereunder will automatically terminate. You agree to immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security. We will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
If you are a student you are generally required to purchase access to Educational Products for the applicable purchase price and duration and to validate your account on our site (unless you are granted access through your school’s site license). If you are a student, your access to and use of an Educational Product is for the applicable section or course and for the duration of the applicable subscription period. We may also provide certain free Services to students, which may be for limited or trial duration, and which require registration.
Information and Functionality on the Site
Any information or content provided on or through the Services is for informational purposes only. Any reliance on such information or content is at your own risk. Certain Services may contain information provided by other users of such Services. Macmillan Learning will not verify the accuracy of any information submitted by users, and the opinions and views expressed by users are not those of Macmillan Learning and are not endorsed by us. Macmillan Learning does not make any representation or warranty regarding rights in materials submitted by users. Further, Macmillan Learning does not guarantee the identity of any other user with whom you may interact, or the authenticity of any information the user may provide about him/herself.
We reserve the right to modify, add or remove content, features and/or functionality available through the Services (including for clarity in our Educational Products) in our sole discretion.
Use of Materials from the Services
These Services are the property of and owned by Macmillan Learning or its licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws of the United States and other countries. Macmillan Learning grants you a personal, revocable, non-exclusive and non-transferable right to access and display the Services for your own personal, non-commercial use; in the case of Educational Products, such license is limited to the period of your subscription; in the case of resources provided to instructors (including Downloaded Content (including Assessment Materials and Instructor Resources as defined below)), such license is restricted to individuals who are instructors who have registered and remain authorized as such by Macmillan Learning (“Authorized Instructors”) and individuals assisting instructors and under their direction (“Instructor Assistants”).
You may not access the Services through a single account on more than one computer or computer system concurrently. Multiple use configurations and network distribution of the Services or any content or features of the Services are expressly prohibited. You may not modify or delete any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notice that appears on the Services or any Downloaded Content. If the functionality of the Services permits, you may also create and save bookmarks, highlights and annotations to content in the Services. Macmillan Learning does not purport to grant any rights to third party content appearing in the Services, including content submitted by any user of the Services, and does not make any representation or warranty of any kind concerning rights in such content, except that you may access and display such content provided by us within the Services in the same context as we originally provided it in the Services pursuant to the license granted to you herein with respect to the Services.
Assessment Materials.The following additional provisions apply with respect to materials provided to instructors or for use by instructors (including Downloaded Content) consisting of test banks, questions and answers, quizzes, homework assignments, and other similar materials, whether provided to you through the Services or through other means such as e-mail, CD, print or otherwise, and whether provided to you directly by us or through a third-party platform or distributor (“Assessment Materials”). For the avoidance of doubt, the term "Assessment Materials" includes any modifications thereof by Authorized Instructors. Macmillan Learning hereby grants Authorized Instructors a personal, revocable, non-exclusive and non-transferable right to use Assessment Materials for non-commercial use solely for the limited purpose of assessing the learning of students enrolled in a class for which the particular edition or version of the textbook or Educational Product(s) to which these Assessment Materials relate has been adopted and is in use (the “Adopted Work”), including the right to modify the Assessment Materials, subject to the following limitations: (i) you will not make the Assessment Materials publicly available nor available in any format to anyone other than such students or to your Instructor Assistants, and (ii) you will not post or upload the original or modified Assessment Materials, or links thereto, to any website, online location or platform, including without limitation intranets, bulletin boards, content aggregators, instructor and student communities and chat rooms, homework sites, study sites, or social media sites, or otherwise distribute or use the original or modified Assessment Materials in digital format, except that you may post the necessary portions of the original or modified Assessment Materials to secure, password protected platforms authorized by Macmillan Learning with access limited to such students. In addition, Macmillan Learning hereby grants Authorized Instructors a personal, revocable, non-exclusive and non-transferable right to access and display Assessment Materials for non-commercial use solely for the limited purpose of evaluating whether or not to adopt and use the particular edition of version of the textbook or Educational Product(s) to which these Assessment Materials relate; this grant for evaluation purposes does not include, and explicitly excludes: the right to use the Assessment Materials for the purpose of assessing the learning of students; the right to copy, print, modify, or make derivative works of the Assessment Materials; and/or the right to distribute, transmit, perform, broadcast, publish, or make available the Assessment Materials to anyone, including without limitation students.
Instructor Resources.The following additional provisions apply with respect to materials provided to instructors or for use by instructors (including Downloaded Content) other than Assessment Materials, such as lecture slides (“Lecture Slides”), instructor teaching resources, activities designated or clearly intended for classroom or homework use (“Activities”) and/or image slides/galleries containing photos, figures and/or tables (“Image Galleries”), whether provided to you through the Services or through other means, such as e-mail, CD, zip files, print or otherwise, and whether provided to you directly by us or through a third-party platform or distributor (collectively, “Instructor Resources”). Macmillan Learning hereby grants Authorized Instructors a personal, revocable, non-exclusive and non-transferable right to use Instructor Resources for non-commercial use solely for the limited purpose of instructing students enrolled in a class for which the Adopted Work to which these Instructor Resources relate has been adopted and is in use, including the right to modify the Lecture Slides and Activities, and to use the original or modified Lecture Slides and Activities for instructing such students, subject to the following limitations: (i) Image Galleries may only be used by Authorized Instructors and only for the limited purpose of modifying Lecture Slides or Activities, (ii) you will not make the original or modified Instructor Resources publicly available nor available in any format to anyone other than such students or to your Instructor Assistants, and (ii) you will not post or upload the original or modified Instructor Resources, or links thereto, to any website, online location or platform, including without limitation intranets, bulletin boards, content aggregators, instructor and student communities and chat rooms, homework sites, study sites, or social media sites, or otherwise distribute or use the Instructor Resources in digital format, but you may post the necessary portions of the original or modified Instructor Resources, including the original or modified Lecture Slides and original or modified Activities but excluding the Image Galleries to secure, password protected platforms authorized by Macmillan Learning with access limited to such students. In addition, Macmillan Learning hereby grants Authorized Instructors a personal, revocable, non-exclusive and non-transferable right to access and display the Instructor Resources for non-commercial use solely for the limited purpose of evaluating whether or not to adopt and use the particular edition of version of the textbook or Educational Product(s) to which these Instructor Resources relate; this grant for evaluation purposes does not include, and explicitly excludes: the right to use the Instructor Resources for the purpose of instructing students; the right to copy, print, modify, or make derivative works of the Instructor Resources; and/or the right to distribute, transmit, perform, broadcast, publish, or make available the Instructor Resources to anyone, including without limitation students.
E-books. We reserve the right to limit the number of devices onto which an e-book may be downloaded. You will be entitled to download the e-book during the term that applies to the license for the e-book that you purchased.
Permission Requests. For information on where to request permission to reproduce or distribute materials of Macmillan Learning or any of its divisions, click here. Requests for permission to reproduce or distribute third party materials included in the Services (including for clarity items within the Image Galleries unless listed as being owned by Macmillan Learning or any of its divisions) must be addressed directly to the copyright holder; we will not respond to such requests.
No Framing. Without the prior written permission of Macmillan Learning, you may not frame or establish inline links to any Services, nor may you incorporate into another website or other product or service any intellectual property of Macmillan Learning or any of its licensors. Use of manual or automated devices or other processes to “crawl” or “spider” any part of our websites is strictly prohibited. Requests for permission to frame, or to establish inline links to, or otherwise incorporate our online content may be sent here.
Material You Submit
Certain Services may permit Users to submit or upload materials or responses in connection with the Services (“User Content”). With respect to any User Content that you submit or upload (“Your Content”), you acknowledge that you are responsible for Your Content, including the legality, reliability, appropriateness, originality and copyright of any such material and you must ensure that you have all the rights and permissions needed to use Your Content in connection with the Services. Macmillan Learning does not assure, and has no responsibility for, the accuracy, legality, reliability, appropriateness, quality or confidentiality of any of Your Content (or any other User Content submitted by other users). You acknowledge that we do not have any obligation to pre-screen Your Content or other User Content, but may do so in our sole discretion. You may not upload to, distribute or otherwise publish through the Services any content that violates any of the Usage Rules, below.
If you are an instructor or student submitting Your Content for use in connection with a course, you grant us and our affiliates the irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable, worldwide, perpetual right to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform Your Content in connection with the course. You also grant each user in the relevant course a non-exclusive license to access, use, reproduce, publish, distribute, display and perform Your Content in connection with such course. You also grant us the right to use Your Content including your personal information related thereto pursuant to the limited uses and terms set out in our Privacy Notice. This license for such limited purposes continues even after you stop using our Services with respect to aggregated and/or de-identified data derived from Your Content and any residual copies of Your Content made in the ordinary course of our business. This license also extends to any trusted third parties we work with to the extent necessary to provide the Services to you.
Whenever you submit Your Content to a Community Site, you grant us and our affiliates the irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable, worldwide, perpetual right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, display and perform Your Content in any medium. You also grant each user of the Community Site a personal, non-exclusive license to access any of Your Content you submit through the Community Site and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform Your Content for educational purposes in accordance with the grant of rights to users set forth above in the section entitled Use of Materials from the Services. Your Content that you submit through the Community Site (including content and comments and your user name) may be viewed by the public.
With respect to any of Your Content that you submit through any Service:
- You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any royalties or other payments due for use of Your Content.
- Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable User Content; specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
- You acknowledge that if in our opinion Your Content raises any legal risks, we have the right, in our sole discretion and without limiting any other remedy available to it, to remove or exclude Your Content from the Services without any prior notice to you.
In connection with your use of the Services, including in particular Educational Products and Community Sites, you agree:
- Not to submit or create any link to material that infringes the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary or personal right of any third party; and not to submit or create a link to any material that is subject to any such right(s) unless you are the owner of such right(s), or have first obtained from the owner of such right(s) or already have all necessary rights and permissions to grant the rights in such materials you grant under the section entitled “Material You Submit”, above;
- Not to submit or create any link to material that is unlawful, defamatory, abusive, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, threatening, discriminatory, or otherwise objectionable;
- Not to make any personal attack on any person, firm or company;
- Not to submit or create any link to material, or otherwise use this Site for any purpose, that constitutes or encourages a criminal offense, including but not limited to conspiring to violate laws;
- Not to misrepresent your identity, or impersonate any party, including but not limited to misrepresenting your current or previous positions, qualifications, or affiliations;
- Not to submit any material that you do not have the legal right to disclose;
- Not to submit or create any link to any material that is intentionally false or misleading, or is potentially damaging or harmful;
- Not to advertise or engage in any form of marketing or use user information obtained through the Services for marketing or other commercial purposes, or use this site to post or transmit “spam”, “chain letters”, “pyramid schemes” or any other form of solicitation;
- Not to submit or create any link to any material that contains software viruses or any other malicious computer code or programs that might damage, destroy or interfere with the proper functioning of any software, hardware or systems;
- Not to stalk or harass anyone;
- Not to take any action that interferes with the proper working of, or places an unreasonable burden on, the infrastructure of the Services, or that would damage, compromise the security of, or disrupt the Services or the servers or any connected network through which they are provided;
- Not to use the Services to collect personal information about individuals;
- Not to post or make available private information of any third party;
- Not to use the Services as a forwarding service to any other website;
- If your use of the Services requires you to comply with specific regulations applicable to such use, you will be solely responsible for such compliance. For example, you may not use the Services to collect protected, sensitive or special categories of data about your students without obtaining the requisite consents under the applicable laws such as the Pupil Rights Amendment Act or GDPR Article 9. For our FERPA, FIPPA and GDPR compliance with respect to our handling of your personal information for you as a service provider, see our Privacy Notice.
Ownership; Trademarks and Copyrights
All right, title and interest in the Services and any and all text, design, graphics, interfaces and code, and the selection and arrangement thereof, are the exclusive property of Macmillan Learning and/or our affiliates and licensors, excluding User Content. The Services feature trademarks, service marks and logos that are the property of Macmillan Learning and its affiliates or licensors. The Services also may include trademarks, service marks or logos of other third parties. All of these trademarks, service marks and logos are the property of their respective owners, and you agree not to use them in any manner without the prior written permission of the applicable owner. The Services and any and all text, design, graphics, interfaces and code, and the selection and arrangement thereof, are protected under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries.
You may from time to time choose, either through the Services or otherwise, to provide suggestions, comments, improvements, ideas or other feedback or materials to us related to the Services, including corrections to the Services (collectively, “Feedback”). If you choose to provide any such Feedback, you hereby assign and agree to assign all right, title and interest in and to such Feedback to us, and you acknowledge that we will be entitled to use, implement and exploit any such Feedback in any manner without restriction, and without any obligation of confidentiality, attribution or compensation or other duty to account.
Intellectual Property Rights of Others
We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and we request that our visitors and users do the same. If you think your work has been copied in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify us at:
Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC
120 Broadway 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10271
Attention: General Counsel
Please include all of the following in your notification:
- A physical or electronic signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive copyright that is allegedly infringed;
- a description of the copyrighted work you claim has been infringed;
- a description of where the material you claim is infringing is located on the site;
- your address, telephone number, email address and all other information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law; and
- a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Monitoring and Termination; Repeat Infringers
YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ON BEHALF OF OURSELVES AND OUR AFFILIATES AND LICENSORS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND ANY WARRANTIES THAT THE SERVICES ARE NONINFRINGING; THAT ACCESS TO SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE; THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE SECURE; THAT THE SERVICES AND THE SERVER THAT MAKES THEM AVAILABLE WILL BE VIRUS-FREE; OR THAT INFORMATION ON THE SERVICES WILL BE COMPLETE, ACCURATE OR TIMELY. IF YOU DOWNLOAD ANY DOWNLOADED CONTENT FROM US, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK. YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY DOWNLOADED CONTENT. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM US OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WE DO NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR DOWNLOADED CONTENT IN TERMS OF THEIR COMPLETENESS, CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, ADEQUACY, USEFULNESS, TIMELINESS, RELIABILITY OR OTHERWISE.
APPLICABLE LAW IN CERTAIN JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT PERMIT THE DISCLAIMER OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER MAY, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Limitation of Liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT NEITHER WE NOR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES OR THIRD PARTY CONTENT OR TECHNOLOGY LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES RELATING TO OR RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR ANY OTHER SITE YOU ACCESS THROUGH A LINK FROM THE SERVICES OR FROM ANY ACTIONS WE TAKE OR FAIL TO TAKE AS A RESULT OF EMAIL MESSAGES YOU SEND US. THE FOREGOING EXCLUSION INCLUDES DAMAGES FOR ERRORS, OMISSIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, DEFECTS, DELAYS, COMPUTER VIRUSES, YOUR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO AND ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS AND DATA, AND AND/OR RELATING TO THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE OR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR MORE THAN THE AMOUNT WE RECEIVED FOR YOUR ACCESS TO THE SERVICES. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE CLAIMED UNDER THE TERMS OF A CONTRACT, AS THE RESULT OF NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE ARISE OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES AND EVEN IF WE OR OUR REPRESENTATIVES HAVE BEEN NEGLIGENT OR HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ALL OR A PORTION OF THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS, OUR RESPECTIVE LIABILITY AND OUR AFFILIATES AND LICENSORS’ RESPECTIVE LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
Account Termination and Effect
Upon expiration, termination or cancellation of your account, (i) all licenses to the Services will immediately terminate, you will have no further rights to access or use the Services (excluding any use of Your Content), and you shall immediately and permanently delete or destroy all copies of any Downloaded Content (excluding Your Content and except that you are not required to delete purchased content for which you purchased a perpetual license) you downloaded through the Services, (ii) we may delete any of Your Content that you have submitted, and (iii) we will have no further rights in Your Content (except with respect to Your Content submitted to the Community Site and except that we may continue to store back-up copies of Your Content indefinitely.
How to Contact Us
Macmillan Learning c/o Macmillan
120 Broadway, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10271
Macmillan Learning is a group name for Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC (Bedford St. Martin’s, WH Freeman and Company, Worth Publishers, iClicker), Skyfactor, and Hayden-McNeil LLC, and is used herein to refer to each entity individually and collectively.
Terms of Purchase
You must be aged 18 years or older to place orders through this Site. You will be required to accept these Terms when making a purchase on this Site. When you make your purchase you will be entering into a binding legal contract with us in accordance with these Terms.
1. License to Access Purchases for Digital Products.
If you purchase a License to Access for a Digital Product:
- You can request a full refund of the purchase price we received from you, by crediting your form of payment used for the purchase, if we receive your refund request via your Macmillan My Account Page within 14 calendar days of conclusion of the contract. Your respective access will be shut-off immediately upon your initiating such refund request. If you are a UK/EEA consumer, please also read Section 2 below.
- The length of time term for each License to Access varies by Digital Product and will be indicated to you at the time you purchase each License to Access for each respective Digital Product and, once purchased, in your Macmillan My Account Page.
- Your right to use and access the Digital Products for which you purchase a License to Access on this Site will terminate upon the end date indicated at the time of purchase and, once purchased, in your Macmillan My Account.
- We aim to provide your access to the License to Access Digital Products on a continuous, high-quality basis but by the nature of such content we cannot guarantee that it will be available at all times. Your access to the License to Access Digital Products may be unavailable from time to time including for maintenance or upgrades. We provide System Status updates.
- When you place an order through this site, and our third-party payment processor has approved your payment details, we will confirm receipt of your order by sending an acknowledgement to your e-mail address.
- Please note that this is not an acceptance of your order. We will send a confirmation to your e-mail address when your digital product is available to access which is our acceptance of your order. If we cannot accept your order for any reason we will send a message to your e-mail address.
- Once we accept your order you will receive access within a reasonable time or receive a refund if we cannot do so for reasons beyond our reasonable control.
- We are under a legal duty to provide Digital Products in conformity with our contract with you.
2. Cancellation rights for UK/EEA consumers
If you are a UK/EEA consumer you have the right to cancel your contract to purchase a License to Access on this Site within 14 calendar days, beginning on the day that the contract was concluded, without giving any reason. The cancellation period will expire 14 calendar days from the day of the conclusion of the contract. To exercise the right to cancel you must inform us of your decision to cancel your contract by a clear statement. The best option is to do so through your Macmillan My Account Page, or to contact Customer Support via the Chatbot, in which case we will communicate to you an acknowledgement of receipt of such a cancellation on a durable medium (e.g. by email) without delay. You can also use our Contact Details below. You may use the model cancellation form below, but it is not obligatory. To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send the communication concerning your right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.
EFFECTS OF CANCELLATION: If you cancel your contract as set out above, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you. We will make the reimbursement without undue delay and not later than 14 calendar days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel your contract. We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of the reimbursement.
Your access to the Digital Product will be cancelled. You do not have to return anything to us.
Model cancellation form:
To: [See Section 8 below]
I/We[*] hereby give notice that I/we[*] cancel my/our contract of sale of the following: [*]
Ordered on [*]/received on, [*]
Name of consumer(s),
Address of consumer(s),
Signature of consumer(s) (only if this form is notified on paper),
[*] Delete as appropriate
3. Payment of Fees
When you purchase a License to Access:
- You agree to pay us all applicable charges as shown on the Site pursuant to each respective order. The price of each Digital Product is shown on our UK/ROW Site in GBP, on our Australia Site in AUD and on our New Zealand Site in NZD. You will be billed in the relevant Site currency when you order. Your agreement to pay us for your order is not contingent upon your use of the product.
- The forms of payment we accept through our third-party payment processor are set out on the Site. For each order, our third party payment processor will charge your form of payment you provide to us at the time of purchase.
- You must provide accurate and complete billing information at the time of your order, e.g., name, address and valid form of payment. You promise that you will provide all your order details accurately and honestly. If you do not do so we may be unable to accept your order or be delayed in providing access or we may end our contract and cancel your access. You promise that you are authorized to use your form of payment and that there are sufficient funds or credit to cover the price of the Digital Products you order. You may have legal liability to us, and we may contact law enforcement or other appropriate third-party agencies, if you act fraudulently or dishonestly. You may be liable to pay our collection fees or other costs.
- Some forms of payment require authorization and/or involve multiple steps including customer authentication. If the payment process is not completed fully or we or our third-party payment processor have concerns regarding any aspect of your order we may suspend or cancel your order.
- Without prejudice to your other rights, including under these Terms, if your cleared payment is not received (or is reversed) but you have received your Digital Product, you must pay for it or we may end our contract and cancel your access.
- If your information changes at any point in time that your order is still being charged, or for an order for which an end date has not yet occurred, you shall promptly notify us and update such information.
- We may from time to time offer discounts to first-time purchasers, such as applying discounts on fees for a limited time, or as part of other promotions. All such offers will be subject to the promotion terms posted on this Site.
- You are responsible for any and all applicable taxes for your order. The Digital Product price is shown on your check out page inclusive of VAT on our UK/ROW Site and GST on our Australia and New Zealand Sites.
- You will be given the opportunity to review your order before submitting it and you will be provided with an email confirmation of your order details after we have received it. If you think we have made an error in the fees that you were charged, please get in touch with us using the Contact Details below and include a full description of the problem.
- Details of technical support for our Digital Products and information regarding Digital Product functionality including applicable technical protection measures and any relevant compatibility with hardware and software are set out on the Site under Support & FAQs.
- We ensure that Digital Products are provided with reasonable skill and care but sometimes errors may occur. Please let us know if the Digital Product accessed is different from that stated in your order or if it is defective. If there is an error or defect we will provide replacement Digital Product or your purchase will be cancelled, with any payment refunded. For further information on your consumer rights see Section 7 below.
- Without prejudice to your rights (as applicable) under Cancellation above or Consumer Rights below, please contact Customer Support via the Chatbot or using the applicable Contact Details below if you have any questions about defective Digital Product. You could contact a consumer affairs adviser or lawyer for information about your rights.
4. Promotional Codes
If you apply a promotional code to your order, the promotional code may discount the price on a single item, part of your purchase, or an entire purchase based on the eligibility of the items in your cart. The discount may reflect a percentage off, or a specific monetary amount. Promotional codes can only be applied to digital e-books and Achieve courses. You can only use one promotional code at a time and if you enter more than one promotional code at checkout, only one promotional code will be applied. Promotional codes have no cash value and are not transferable. All promotional codes have a stated, specified expiration date and time.
5. Applicable Law
These Terms are governed by the laws of England provided that if you are a consumer in the UK, EEA, Switzerland, Australia or New Zealand you have the protection of mandatory local law applicable in the country where you live. These Terms of Purchase are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of English courts. This means that if you are a consumer in the UK, EEA, Switzerland, Australia or New Zealand you can bring an action to enforce your rights in respect of our contract either in England or in the country where you live.
Please contact Customer Support via the Chatbot or using the applicable Contact Details below if you have any questions or problems regarding your Digital Products, your order or our contract, and we will endeavour to respond to you within a reasonable time and in any event within 30 days. If you are not happy with the way we deal with any disagreement then you and we may agree to refer the matter to mediation but you and we are not restricted from bringing court proceedings.
If you are a consumer in the EU the European Commission provides for an online dispute resolution platform. If you would like to bring a matter to our attention, please contact us – see Section 8 below.
Sales from the Site are for consumer purchase only and not for commercial resale or other business purposes and we may limit volumes of Digital Products sold accordingly.
7. Consumer Rights
For Australian consumers: Our goods and services come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. For major failures with the service, you are entitled:
- to cancel your service contract with us; and
- to a refund for the unused portion, or to compensation for its reduced value.
You are also entitled to choose a refund or replacement for major failures with goods. If a failure with the goods or a service does not amount to a major failure, you are entitled to have the failure rectified in a reasonable time. If this is not done, you are entitled to a refund for the goods and to cancel the contract for the service and obtain a refund of any unused portion. You are also entitled to be compensated for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage from a failure in the goods or service.
For Belgian consumers: This contract is subject to the Belgian legal framework regarding the statutory warranty for lack of conformity, pursuant to which we are, under certain circumstances, liable for lack of conformity of the Digital Product (art. 1701/1-1701/19 Belgian Civil Code). In case of lack of conformity, you are entitled to request that the Digital Product is made compliant, receive a proportionate price reduction or terminate the contract under the conditions as set out in articles 1701/11 and 1701/12 of the Belgian Civil Code. Nothing in these Terms will be read or applied so as to exclude, restrict or modify your rights under the statutory warranty, however, to the extent permitted by law, our liability is limited to the statutory remedies.
For Danish consumers: Please note the following:
- You will receive access to your digital product within 2 working days of your purchase.
- The defective products provisions of the Danish Sale of Goods Act apply to your order.
For Finnish consumers: under the Finnish Consumer Protection Act (38/1978), we are liable for certain defects in the Digital Products we provide to you. You can learn more about your consumer rights, and how to enforce them, by contacting the Finnish Consumer Advisory Services and/or the Finnish Consumer Disputes Board.
For Irish consumers: If you are in Ireland and you are a “consumer” as defined in the Consumer Rights Act 2022, our services, including the provision of the Digital Products, will be subject to certain laws including, without limitation the Consumer Rights Act 2022. The Consumer Rights Act 2022 provides you with certain rights that cannot be excluded. Nothing in these Terms will be read or applied so as to exclude, restrict or modify any Non-excludable Guarantees, however, to the extent permitted by law, our liability is limited to the statutory remedies (if any) available for breach or failure to comply with the Non-excludable Guarantees.
For New Zealand consumers: If you are in New Zealand and you are a “consumer” as defined in the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, our services, including the provision of the Digital Products, will be subject to certain laws including, without limitation, the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993. The Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 provides you with certain rights that cannot be excluded (“Non-excludable Guarantees”). Nothing in these Terms will be read or applied so as to exclude, restrict or modify any Non-excludable Guarantees, however, to the extent permitted by law, our liability is limited to the statutory remedies (if any) available for breach or failure to comply with the Non-excludable Guarantees.
For Norwegian consumers: Sections 3(iv) and (x) are less favourable than the Norwegian Digital Content and Services Act and Norwegian Consumer Law. Therefore, for Norwegian consumers the following two amendments below apply:
With respect to Section 3(iv), we will only suspend or cancel your order if the payment process is not completed fully or if we or a third party are mandated by law to suspend or cancel your order, e.g., due to restrictions under the Norwegian Anti-Money Laundering Act.
With respect to Section 3(x), you are entitled to:
- withhold the purchase price,
- choose between rectification or redelivery,
- demand a reduction in the price, if the defect is not rectified or redelivered, or
- demand the purchase be cancelled if the defect is material
For Swiss consumers: You must inspect the condition of the purchased Digital Product as soon as feasible. If you discover defects, you must notify us without delay. Should you fail to do so, the purchased Digital Product is deemed accepted. The warranty rights are limited to a replacement or rescission at our choice as explained in Section 3(x) of these Terms, all other warranty rights are hereby excluded, whether express or implied.
For UK consumers: It is our responsibility to supply you with a Digital Product that meets your consumer rights. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 says digital content must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. If your digital content is faulty, you're entitled to a repair or a replacement. If the fault can't be fixed, or if it hasn't been fixed within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience, you can get some or all of your money back. If you can show the fault has damaged your device and we haven't used reasonable care and skill, you may be entitled to a repair or compensation. These rights are subject to certain exceptions. For detailed information please contact a lawyer or a consumer adviser (such as Citizens Advice www.citizensadvice.org.uk).
8. Contact Details and Affiliates
If you live in Australia or New Zealand our Affiliate Macmillan Learning Pty Ltd (ABN 13 647 596 94) is entering into the contract with you and our Contact Details are: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Address: Macmillan Learning Pty Ltd 234-242 George Sy, Sydney NSW 200, Australia.
If you live in the UK, the EEA orSwitzerland, Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group LLC is entering into the contract with you and our Contact Details are: Email: email@example.com Address: Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group LLC Cromwell Place, Lime Tree Way, Basingstoke, RG24 8YJ, UK Phone: +44 (0) 207 7833 4000 with VAT registration in the UK (VAT Number: 385 5279 54).
Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC dba Macmillan Learning, is a New York limited liability company. Head office: 120 Broadway, 22nd Floor, New York, NY 10271, USA.
All content ©2023 Macmillan Learning