- Our Story
- Contact Us
A Biopsychosocial ApproachSixth Edition| ©2019 Richard O. Straub
Bookmark, search, and highlight our PDF-style e-books.
Spend less and get the e-book, quizzes, and more.
Save money with our loose, 3-hole punched pages.
Read and study old-school with our bound texts.
The most accessible, current, and engaging introduction to health psychology today.
With Straub’s Health Psychology, students explore the interrelationship of psychological and physical well-being, making meaningful connections between health psychology theory and research and their own everyday experience. Straub explores the main ideas of the field from a biopsychosocial perspective, drawing on the latest research, engaging examples, and thorough considerations of diversity issues as they relate to health psychology (gender, ethnicity, age, orientation).
Biopsychosocial approach. The book follows the biopsychosocial model as the basic organizing template. Each chapter dealing with a specific health problem—on cardiovascular disease and diabetes, cancer, and substance use/abuse, for example—presents a critical analysis of what we know to be the underlying biological, psychological, and social factors in the onset of the health problem, as well as how these factors affect the course of the disease and the outcome.
An engaging case study or vignette at the beginning of each chapter connects the world of health psychology to some concrete experience and weaves a thread of human interest throughout the chapter. All of these describe real situations.
The life-course perspective. In integrated coverage through the text, students will learn about the special needs and health challenges of people in every season of life.
Coverage of complementary and alternative medicine.. Chapter 15 carefully explores the validity of these high-interest, alternative interventions.
Your Health Assets boxes that give students self-testing opportunities to connect the material to their own experiences.
Interpreting Data boxes that help students become more comfortable with the crucial quantitative component of research in a health psychology context.
End-of-chapter Weigh In on Health features that emphasize critical thinking to help students assess their understanding of material, and to make meaningful connections between the course and their own life experiences
Full supplements package including: LaunchPad solo (Video activities, Critical Thinking Exercises, Web quizzes, PsychSim 6); Instructor’s Resource Manual, Downloadable Computerized Test Bank in Diploma, Illustration and Lecture Slides, Interactive flashcards .
New to This Edition
Every page of Straub’s new edition has been revised and updated with the latest research and ideas in the field. Highlights of the latest content include:
- Thoroughly revised and updated material on stress including: new section Biological Differences in the Stress Response (or Gender and the HPA Axis); New section Prenatal Stress and Adverse Childhood Experiences
- new section, mHealth, focused on research investigating the use smartphones and other mobile technologies to promote health and well-being;
- New research and material on nutrition and weight including on implicit weight bias, food security, and genetics and the risk of developing an eating disorder
- New material on positive psychology research including thriving, resilience, the neurobiology of spirituality.
- New material on the rapid increase in the use of prescription and non-prescription opioids
- New material on women’s health including the effects of historical lack of knowledge surrounding women’s health and differences in treatment of pain by gender.
- New section Interactions Among Body Systems with coverage of the microbiota-gut-brain axis;
The new Sixth Edition includes new pedagogical elements to enhance the student experience:
- New Learning Outcomes at the beginning of every chapter
- Diversity and Healthy Living: Neighborhood Violence, Brain Development, and PTSD
- Your Health Assets: The Brief Cope-new scale allowing readers to asses their coping style in response to stressful events
- New full color design with photos and figures in color.
“This book is written at the perfect level for undergraduates...I often turn to it myself when I am looking for a simple explanation of a phenomena”
– Marc Dingman, Pennsylvania State University
“Straub emphasizes the biopsychosocial model and presents critical content in health psychology in a clear way”
– Sasha Karnes, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
“The coverage within each chapter is extensive. It is well organizes and very easy for students to follow. There are a number of approaches that really help consolidate the students understand of the material presented within each chapter, including the use of illustrative examples, and case vignettes”
– Bianca Jardin, Francis Marion University
"The greatest strengths of Straub, Health Psychology are: “The depth and breadth of the topics covered and the strong biological and physiological foundation—these chapters lay the framework from which all the rest of the biopsychosocial research in health psychology can be interpreted”
– Judith Anderson, University of Toronto – Mississauga
“I really liked the book a lot...I found it to be very well written and at the appropriate level for the students I teach. I also liked that it was quite well organized, which I am sorry to say I don’t always find with every textbook. The diagrams and graphics were good-very understandable and well explained. “
– Karen Baker, University of Memphis
Sixth Edition| ©2019
Richard O. Straub
Read online (or offline) with all the highlighting and notetaking tools you need to be successful in this course.
Sixth Edition| 2019
Richard O. Straub
Table of Contents
Part 1 Foundations of Health Psychology
Chapter 1 Introducing Health Psychology
Chapter 2 Research in Health Psychology
Chapter 3 Biological Foundations of Health and Illness
Part 2 Stress and Health
Chapter 4 Stress
Chapter 5 Coping with Stress
Part 3 Behavior and Health
Chapter 6 Staying Healthy: Primary Prevention and Positive Psychology
Chapter 7 Exercise, Sleep, and Injury Control
Chapter 8 Nutrition, Obesity, and Eating Disorders
Chapter 9 Substance Use, Abuse, and Addiction
Part 4 Chronic and Life-Threatening Illnesses
Chapter 10 Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes
Chapter 11 Cancer
Chapter 12 HIV/AIDS and Other Communicable Diseases
Part 5 Seeking Treatment
Chapter 13 The Role of Health Psychology in Seeking and Obtaining Health Care
Chapter 14 Managing Pain
Chapter 15 Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Epilogue Health Psychology Today and Tomorrow
Name Index NI-1
Subject Index SI-1
Richard O. Straub
Access Test Bank
You need to sign in as a verified instructor to access the Test Bank.
You need to sign in to unlock your resources.
Click the E-mail Download Link button and we'll send you an e-mail at with links to download your instructor resources. Please note there may be a delay in delivering your e-mail depending on the size of the files.
Your download request has been received and your download link will be sent to .
Please note you could wait up to 30 to 60 minutes to receive your download e-mail depending on the number and size of the files. We appreciate your patience while we process your request.
Check your inbox, trash, and spam folders for an e-mail from InstructorResources@macmillan.com.
If you do not receive your e-mail, please visit macmillanlearning.com/support.
Sixth Edition| 2019
Richard O. Straub